Tuesday, September 28, 2010

2.5 year checkup

Kaylee's 2.5 year checkup was yesterday, and for the first time they measured her on the "big kid" equipment: the scale they stand on and standing against the wall for the measuring tape (which I think is more reliable than lying on the paper that gets crunched then stretched out when they actually measure). She is now 35 lbs (97%) and 37.5" tall (92%)...at her 2 year appointment they measured her as 37.75" which I thought was a little high. At any rate, the measurements should be more accurate from here on out.

On our way to the pediatrician's office, we passed Chick-fil-A and Kaylee said, "I want to go to Chick-fil-A. I don't want to go to the doctor, just Chick-fil-A!" Jamie wasn't going to be home for dinner anyway and I didn't have anything planned, so I told her if she was very good at the doctor we could go, but we had to see the doctor first. She said, "I'm am very good. I want chicken nuggets and fruit." (She doesn't say "I am" but "I'm am." :) ) She was very good, even with a 1/2 hour wait in between seeing the nurse and doctor (I guess that's what happens when you take a 4:30 appointment; they're backed up by then!). At her 2 year visit, she pretty much was weepy or crying the entire time a nurse or doctor was in the room with us, but this time she was happy the whole time, except for some crying for about a minute after she got a shot. They were out of flu shots, so she got the nasal flu mist instead, which I'm sure she preferred!, and just the one shot. She got a sticker at check out then we went to Chick-fil-A and she ate all her chicken nuggets and fruit. They have fall decorations up (scarecrows, pumpkins, etc) and Kaylee was quite excited about that, too. As I ordered, she went over to a big scarecrow display and danced around, so she was quite happy again, shot all but forgotten...until bath time when she saw the band-aid again and told Jamie about how she got a shot, but she was brave.

1 comment:

Diedre said...

I tried to set an example for Elena by getting my flu shot at Sam's Club a few weeks ago, but when I talked to her about getting her flu shot, she said we had to wait until she's 3. She was kind of right - the pediatrician's office said they didn't have the flu shot in yet, so we'll wait until her 3 year check-up. Elena loves Chick-fil-A too - good job on eating all your fruit Kaylee!